CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 9, 2010

April 9 2010
I officially have one more day of classes. I just finished the last page of my last college paper ever. It feels great to be done (well, mostly done), but it's weird at the same time. For years - seven to be exact - I have defined myself as an English major (except that one year that I was a history major). Saying "I was an English major" doesn't seem to hold quite as much weight as saying "I am an English major" though. I guess what I'm really wondering is how long it's okay to define myself as "having been" something instead of "being" something.
What do I do now?
Yesterday, at work, a co-worker and I were discussing our impending graduation and she asked me (as everyone inevitably does) "and what are you going to do now?" I don't know. Maybe I should go to school to figure it out.
Being Canadian, and married to an American, I have to wait several months before I am allowed to work here once I'm no longer a student. I pretend like this is the worst thing ever because I'm dramatic like that. But secretly, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I could work. Maybe I should go to school and get a marketable degree. But then I'd be marketable, and who really wants that?
School is easy. It's always been easy (which of course is a judgment you can make only once you're finished). The real world seems so hard and mean and scary. And I have an English degree. Great. Maybe I should go to school and study something a little more vicious to prepare myself for entrance into this world. Maybe kicking? I feel like you could major in kicking at a reputable university today.
Maybe not. I'm sure by now you're tired of my musings. Hopefully my punctuation's correct. It would be terribly embarrassing if it wasn't. I am an English major after all.

4 comments:

Kerry

Haha, that's awesome. I feel the same way, except the part about kicking, and being a Canadian. I've been going through and finally doing a photo album for the mission so I've been thinking of you guys.

Anonymous

My degree isn't marketable either... we will hang out together!

loretta

Don't feel bad girls, my degree isn't marketable where I'm at.....at all. I'm going to be going back to school but don't know what I want to be when I grow up!!! Any suggestions? Love ya, Aunt Loretta

Anonymous

I don't have a degree so you are ahead of me! Congrats on being pretty much finite. Thats awesome!

Post a Comment