CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 26, 2010

The Break.

March 26 2010
I am waist-deep in term papers - long term papers. And, I'm struggling to stay awake (I guess that doesn't speak strongly as to the riveting nature of my papers...) so I decided to take a break. Imagine the summertime. Imagine reading for fun, without quizzes, papers, or exams. Sound nice? I think so. From this recent experience, here is some reading information I have gleaned.
Wright: "Native Son" - If you read this, you will hate Bigger, the protagonist, you will hate white people, and you'll probably start to hate yourself a little too. Good luck.
Willa: "My Antonia" - This is a very good book dealing with the problems of nineteenth century American immigration, but that theme is barely noticeable if you choose to ignore it.
Card: "Ender's Game" - This is a YA book that takes about 2 hours to read, but once you start, you won't want to stop! My one criticism is that Card (a Mormon) uses bad language for no apparent reason.
Cormier: "The Chocolate War" - This is "Native Son" for kids. You will hate Archie, and Leon, and everyone. Plus, you'll want chocolates.
Head: "Mr and Mrs Bo Jo Jones" - This is one of my new favourites. If you can handle teenage pregnancy, and can empathize with a new marriage, then I would recommend this YA read. It's short too, but don't worry, it ends the way you want it to :)
Maeve Binchy: She is an Irish author and I love everything she has ever written. Read her.
Okay... back to work.

1 comments:

James and Shawna

I totally agree on BoJo; read it in High School and really enjoyed it! Thanks for the other advice, I'm ready to read!

Post a Comment